Friday, December 10, 2010

Christmas II


These are our Christmas plates from 2009.

Fudge Brownies

(Feel free to 1/2 this recipe. It makes a ton!)

1 1/2 cups margarine

3 cups sugar

3 tsp. vanilla

6 eggs

3/4 cup cocoa

2 1/4 cups sifted flour

1 cup chopped nuts ( never add nuts)

Melt margarine and add sugar and cocoa. Add eggs one at a time when mixture is not hot.

Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes in a jelly roll pan... a big one! I line the bottom with aluminum foil so they come out easier. You could also just grease it.

For the Mint Frosting mix:

3 cups powdered sugar

1/4 cup margarine

1/2 tsp. peppermint extract

5 drops green food coloring

(I always add a dash or two of milk to get the right consistency.)

Spread on brownies while hot.

Then make the fudge frosting.

In a medium saucepan mix:

1/2 cup margarine

3 1/2 Tbsp. cocoa

1/3 cup milk

Heat slowly and bring to a boil while stirring. Remove from heat and add:

1 lb. powdered sugar (I just add cup after cup until the desired consistency.)

1 tsp. vanilla

Spread over mint layer on brownies while still hot.

Add chopped nuts if you want. I never do.

MY Favorite Fudge

From my Grandma Jensen

In a heavy bottom saucepan mix:

4 cups white sugar

1/4 cup non-sweetened chocolate cut up into small pieces

2 cups heavy cream

3 Tbsp. Karo Syrup

STIR all in the same direction. I'm not joking. Pick a direction... clockwise or whatever and stir only that way!

Place on high heat and stir until it boils, wiping sides of pan often. Cook to Soft Ball 226 degrees or 228 if its raining or snowing.

Stop stirring when it starts boiling.

When it reaches soft ball take it off heat and let it cool for an hour.

Then add:

1 tsp. vanilla and a cup of nuts if you want.

Beat until it lightens and becomes more like dough. This will only work if its cool enough, but you don't want it too cool or it won't beat.

Roll in wax paper and refrigerate so they are little tubes. Mine didn't turn out as well this time so I just poured it into a pan, but it tastes amazing!

My mother-in-law gave me her old sucker molds so I had to try making suckers with my son. My mom used to do this with me all the time.

My lesson from this is: spray the wax paper with non-stick spray or powdered sugar before pouring the sucker syrup in!

This is my mother's recipe. I don't know who Gloria is.

Gloria’s Hard Candy

2 c sugar

¾ c white corn syrup

1 c water

five drops food coloring

½ tsp flavoring- raspberry, butterscotch, coconut, root beer

Bring sugar, corn syrup, and water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add candy thermometer and bring to hard ball stage- 260 degrees. Add food coloring.Boil to 270 degrees.Add ½ tsp flavoring. Cook to 290 degrees.

Pour on powdered cookie sheet or in sucker molds. Let cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment