Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Bagels

My sister made bagels a few weeks ago and challenged me to make some and I'm so glad she did because they are amazing.  Seriously I don't know if I'll be able to buy bagels from the store now because I realize what a rip off they are!

Here is where we got the recipe.

My only change is that I don't really like plain bagels so I tried putting things in them...

So after you have made the dough and let it rise for 1 1/2.  Separate the dough into 8 pieces or 16 if you doubled the recipe like I did.  (I used a pastry cutter to do this and it was SO easy!)

 Then get yourself a helper and add some more ingredients.
We added chocolate chips, blueberries, raisins and cinnamon... the possibilities are endless.
Just make a little well in the dough, put whatever you want inside, and then knead it in.  Simple, easy, yummy...
 Then roll them into balls and follow the rest of the instructions... rise...
 Punch holes in, boil, bake...

 I have to say that after doing this you should use fresh blueberries instead of frozen because they are just too juicy.  I thawed mine and drained them, but they didn't turn out great.  The chocolate chip ones were fabulous though!


1 comment:

  1. Hurrah! I'm so glad you made these. Just another store-bought thing that is ruined forever for me. Also ruined, tortilla chips.

    ReplyDelete