Saturday, September 15, 2012

School Lunches


My son is in first grade this year and its our first time having to pack a lunch.  I have been searching for ideas.  Here is what I have come up with:

I freeze everything from cookies, brownies, burritos, corn dogs, pigs in a blanket, etc.  That way I can just grab each food item I want and threw them in the Iron Man Lunch Box.

Corn Dog Recipe:

Cookie recipes I have fallen for:  
This is a chocolate hazelnut chip cookie!  Seriously it uses Nutella!  http://www.jif.com/Recipes/Details/6645

I make my own Hot Pockets by rolling ham and cheese in either Monkey Bread dough or Pizza dough.  I also fill them with broccoli and cheese or pizza fillings with pizza sauce of course.  Freeze great.  My kids and husband Love LOVE LOVE!

Lastly burritos.

First I have to share the filling recipe because its great and I use it in a multitude of ways:

Lentil Tacos

3/4 cup onions, finely chopped (can use dehydrated)
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. canola oil
1/2 lb. dry lentils (How much is that?  Look at the bag or guess!)
1 Tbsp. chili powder (feel free to add more)
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. oregano
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup salsa, give or take

   If uses raw onions saute in oil with garlic powder in until tender.  Then add the lentils and the rest of the spices.  Cook, stirring for one minute or two.  

Then throw everything in a crock pot with the rest of the ingredients (broth and salsa).  If using dehydrated onions just saute the lentils and then put it all together in a crock pot.  cook for 3 hours if you like crunchy lentils and 6ish for soft.  I put mine on low in the early afternoon and they were perfect at dinner

Use as tacos, toppings for nachos, or filling for burritos.

If you are making burritos I add cheese, and Spanish Rice.  I bake them at 350 for 20-25 minutes.  Let cool completely and freeze.  Hot sauce on the side is recommended.


For the Spanish Rice I really like this recipe:

Spanish Rice

2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 onion chopped
2 Tbsp. minced garlic (or 2 tsp. garlic powder if you are desperate)
2 cups favorite rice (I don't think brown would work in this though)
3 cups stock of choice (vegetable or chicken)
2 Tbsp. tomato paste or one cup diced tomatoes strained (or use fresh)
pinch of oregano
1 tsp. salt

Use appropriate amounts of stock to rice according to your rice's packaging instructions.  Usually its 2:1.  

Brown the rice in a large skillet with the oil.  Add the onion and garlic, cooking until onions are softened.

Then throw everything in whatever you use to cook rice.  I have a great microwave rice cooker but you can use whatever.  Cook for 15-25 minutes depending on rice and your cooker.  Let stand for five minutes.  

I use this Spanish rice with so many things: tacos, burritos, enchiladas, etc.  I stick it inside a lot as well as along side.  My kids love it.  What other endorsement do you need?

No comments:

Post a Comment