Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Favorite Caramel Popcorn Recipe



You know you have a recipe when people ask for it, but you know you have a fabulous recipe when someone hounds you for it.  I had a friend ask me for the recipe after I brought her some for Christmas and the e-mail did not go through each time I tried because I must have written it down wrong and she bugged me for weeks for that recipe.  
This recipe I got from my mom.

Crunchy Caramel Corn

Ingredients:
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 lb. butter (2 sticks)
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
6 quarts freshly popped corn (about 1/2 cup unpopped corn)

Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.

I use a big roasting pan when I make this stuff and do two batches of popcorn to fill it.  Pop the corn.  Make sure you use your hand to sift out the popcorn kernels before putting them into the pan.  I place the baking soda right next to the pan and put a teaspoon on top of the popcorn so I don't forget that step.

In a medium sized saucepan combine brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, cream of tartar, and salt.  Stir constantly while it comes to a boil over medium high heat.  Place a candy thermometer in the pan and cook until it reaches 260 degrees (hard balls stage).  This will happen in about five minutes.

Remove from heat and add the teaspoon of baking soda.  Don't forget this step!  Pour over the popcorn and stir gently to coat.  Bake in the oven for one hour stirring every 15-20 minutes.  Turn the popcorn out onto waxed paper and allow to cool.  Try to resist eating all of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment